What is a malocclusion? A malocclusion is a misalignment within your mouth caused by improperly fitted teeth or a misaligned jaw line. Thanks to modern technology, malocclusions can be fixed with orthodontic treatments to give you a straighter smile. Listed below are some of the most common types of malocclusions:
– Underbites, also called bulldog teeth, are caused when your lower incisors stick out past your upper incisors.
– Misplaced midlines are caused when your upper incisors fail to align with your lower incisors.
– Overbites, also called buck teeth, are caused when your upper incisors stick out past your lower incisors.
– Deep bites, also called closed bites, are severe forms of overbites.
– Open bites are caused when your upper and lower incisors failed to connect when biting down.
– Crossbites are caused when your lower jawbone sticks out past your upper jawbone.
– Transposition malocclusions are caused with teeth erupt above the gum line in the wrong space.
– Rotation malocclusions are caused when teeth are not in their proper location and position.
– Spacing malocclusions include overcrowded teeth, too many teeth, and irregular gaps between teeth.
To schedule an orthodontic exam with Dr. Robert Morrison and our team at Morrison Dental Group, give us a call at 804-386-0124. Our office is conveniently located in Richmond, Virginia. We look forward to hearing from you soon!