For many, mouth jewelry can look dazzling or be an expression of self. However, there are fewer people who realize that mouth jewelry can be dangerous for your teeth and oral health.
There are many accidents or oral health issues that can be caused because of mouth jewelry, and to warn you against these hazards, our dentist at Morrison Dental Group in Richmond, VA, and Chamberlayne, VA, has provided you with more information on their dangers.
Here are some hazards mouth jewelry can cause to your smile:
– Mouth jewelry can be linked to several risks to your gums including inflammation and deep lacerations.
– Oftentimes with mouth jewelry, hard pieces of metal or plastic are used for their implementation. They can easily swing around and fracture or split your teeth.
– Several infections can pop up due to mouth jewelry.
– To prevent choking, make sure that any forms of mouth jewelry you wear are firmly established in place, or they can break off and become serious choking hazards.
– Some people are allergic to lip and tongue rings. Be aware that any materials used for your mouth jewelry can cause known allergies to flare up.
– Keeping your mouth in tip-top shape includes making sure it is clean, but mouth jewelry may get in the way of proper cleaning techniques.
As you can see, mouth jewelry can put your smile at risk for costly health problems, many of which might have been avoided. If you have questions about your oral health or need help with your teeth, please call us today at 804-386-0124 to set up an appointment. Our dental team in Richmond, VA, and Chamberlayne, VA, is always happy to help you in any way we can.